When winter wanes and hope springs eternal for warmth to return to Cape Cod, the hardy souls that endured the cold and gray eagerly watch for their favorite harbingers of the coming season. For us it is the first time we spot a bright yellow feather among the khaki ones on the male goldfinches, the opening of our favorite clam shacks, the return of the ospreys to their nests, and the song of the spring peepers. These transitional weeks are full of anticipation as we watch the sun ooze its shine to entice the crocuses to bloom and buds to form on forsythia and hydrangea bushes. The penultimate thrill is the day the street sweeper creeps its way up our hill to rid the road of the sand that kept us safe from mother nature’s snow and ice.
As innkeepers, however, spring means something entirely different. Now is the time for touch-up painting, window washing, rug cleaning, and garden prepping. The phones are jingling to life with guests planning their summer and fall vacations.
Our favorite attractions are opening this month as well.
- Truro Vineyards opens this weekend, April 4th, with wine tastings every 30 minutes.
- The Steamship Authority’s fast ferry returns to service on April 14th.
- The Edward Gorey Museum opens on April 17th.
- Heritage Museum and Gardens opens for the season on April 19th.
- Cape Cod Railroad is offering its Easter Brunch Train on Sunday, April 20th.
- The Hyannis Whale Watcher sets sail from Barnstable Harbor on April 22nd.
There is definitely a buzz in the air on Cape Cod and we are happy to see the sun, the greening grass, budding trees, and blooming flowers. And we are looking forward to seeing our loyal guests at the Inn this year, and meeting new friends as well.
Welcome spring! We’re glad you’re back.