I woke up this morning to sunshine after two gray and rainy days on Cape Cod and decided that it’s time for some inspiration. After all it’s only 38 days now until daylight savings begins and 45 days until the vernal equinox, which signals the start of spring. So I started thinking about all the great annual events held here on Cape Cod that I, and so many others like me, look forward to each year.
I remember my dad quoting his grandmother, Gramma Rockwell, as some annual event approached in his small hometown in Massachusetts. “Goin’ to the time tonight?” she would ask. The “time” could be anything from a local church supper to the annual local fair, but knowing who was and who wasn’t going was big news apparently.
Our bed and breakfast guests often inquire if anything special is going on during their planned visit. Although Cape Cod offers a wealth of activities to enjoy at any time of the year, I think it makes our guests feel somewhat more connected if they can take in a special event or two during their stay. It’s part of the “authentic experience” movement that seems so prevalent these days.
I look forward to getting my copy of all the annual guides to Cape Cod, like the Cape Cod Life Annual Guide and the Cape Cod Travel Guide, each of which publish an upcoming calendar of events. So for those of you who want something to look forward to, as I do, here are some great local Cape Cod events to mark on your calendar.
- March 18-20 11th Annual Martha’s Vineyard Film Festival
- April 29-May 1 Brewster in Bloom
- April 29-May 1 Nantucket Daffodil Festival Weekend
- May 8-14 Cape and Islands Beer Week
- May 18-22 15th Annual Nantucket Wine Festival
- May 28-30 Figawai Race Weekend
- June 11-12 10th Annual Cape Cod Maritime Festival
- July 10 14th Annual Secret Garden Tour
- July 16-23 167th Barnstable County Fair
- August 7 26th Annual TD Bank Pops by the Sea
- August 14 Falmouth Road Race
- August 12-13 Seventh Annual Provincetown Jazz Festival
- September 8-11 Martha’s Vineyard International Film Festival
- September 10-11 Eighth Annual Bird Carvers’ Show and Sale
- September 17-18 23rd Annual Glass Show and Sale
- September 23-25 42nd Annual Bourne Scallop Fest
- October 14-15 Fifth Annual Martha’s Vineyard Food and Wine Festival
- October 15-16 10th Annual Wellfleet Oyster Fest
As always, we’d love to have you as our guest at the High Pointe Inn if you plan on attending any of these events. We are centrally located mid-Cape in West Barnstable, MA, an hour’s drive from Boston or Providence and in close proximity to the ferries for the islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket.